I know I've totally done my fair share of whining about the loss of all (well... 500) of my pictures, but I should take a sec to say how totally awesome my computer is working now! After Bobby reformatted my hard drive (1st thing to help speed up my ancient computer), we went ahead and got new RAM. I went from 1 GB to 4 GB (2nd awesome thing)!! Then we upgraded my operating system to Snow Leopard (3rd awesome thing)! With an upgraded operating system I was also able to get Lightroom 4 installed on my computer (an added plus:)! What a wonderful thing it is to have multiple applications open at the same time, and be able to jump from one project to the next at lightning speed! Great big thank you to my computer nerd brother Bob who helped make all this possible! Totally worth the loss of a few pictures. I feel like I've been given a brand new computer!
Along with celebrating my "new" computer, I wanted to officially ring in 2013 (now that January's almost over). 2012 was a good year to us - with much to celebrate! Truthfully, the year flew by faster than any other (which I'm hoping isn't the new norm - I really need time to start slowing down). Welcoming Calvin into the family was the biggest event of the year for me. He's been a huge blessing in our family! While some days feel like a juggling act, I really have tried my hardest to figure out my weaknesses as a mom and (attempt to) strengthen them.
In 2012 one of my goals was to be a better cook. I don't enjoy it. I don't like messes and I start to freak out when more than 2 pots are on the stove at the same time. So after eating our same standard meals (chicken and broccoli, hawaiian haystacks, enchiladas, orange chicken, and quesadillas) week after week, Spencer and I together decided that it was time to branch out and try some new recipes. I'm definitely not one to read cookbooks and get excited about something I've never made, never tasted, and not quite sure how it will turn out (but I sure do love and admire those friends of mine who do this :). So I started simple. I turned to a new cookbook of mine - Our Best Bites (you might have heard of their blog) and had Spencer hand pick the stuff he wanted to try. He was kind and stuck to ones that looked rather easy. Then I plugged his picks into our weekly menu. Our Sunday night weekly menu planning was the trick for me. If I had meals scheduled for each day of the week I would make them, but if we forgot to menu plan, I found myself reverting back to my old ways (I'd rather have someone tell me exactly what to make than have to decide on my own). With a plan in hand, I'd go shopping on Monday and then not need to stress the rest of the week about not having key ingredients. At first I did just one new recipe a week - but then there were so many great side dishes and rollover ingredients in the cookbook that it was almost easy to throw in something new here and there. It felt good to try new things and have Spencer excited about a meal.
Unfortunately... we've had a couple busy months and I haven't done much "new" cooking since before Thanksgiving! Wow just typing that makes me feel guilty! So... new goal: get back into menu planning! And I'm actually kind of excited cause Lindsay gave us the new Best Bites cookbook for Christmas (Savoring the Seasons)! And I tell ya, everything in these cookbooks is delish!!
I actually have something else I've been working on. For this post I'll call it goal #2. I have a tendancy of becoming stressed out rather easily (especially when my dramatic, crying, fighting kids are involved). And when I get stressed out it's much easier for me to loose my patience with the kids. It drives me crazy that I'm like this and I honestly try my hardest to find ways to calm down, relax, not worry about the little things, etc etc. But I know it's part of my personality and I know I will always have to make a conscious effort in this area. So with that said, my goal this year is to be slow to anger, quick to love, and leave emotion out of discipline.
I love these babes of mine so incredibly much and I so hope I can set a good example for them and be such a good mama.

3 comments:
I love reading your blog, just thought you'd like to know :)
Wow I just did major blog catch up on your family. I hate when I get behind. I lied reading about your little sunbeam tho and her enthusiasm for primary. Ad HELLO! Holy primary president. I subbed for a primary class this past week, my first time being in primary since I was 11. Let me tell you, it w as painfully disorganized, setup, and boring. I would love to sit in on your primary tho! I'm sure you feel super overwhelmed which is normal for anyone coming into a big calling but you'll get into your groove and soon it'll be easy!
O New Years resolutions....love them and hate them. I started reading this book called The Happiness Project and it has been so great for me as ie started this new year. I didn't have any goals in mind but now I have tons written down in my notebook of ways I can be better and find more happiness in the everyday things. I REALLY nth ink you'd enjoy it but I hate to even recommend since you are so busy already with other things. Just put it in the back of your mind and once things LaFlamme down with your calling, definitely check it out from the library.
Love that spencer loves Bang. W can't wait to play it!
O I typed this comment on the ipad. Obviously autocorrect didn't work in my favor. It looks like I was asleep when I typed it. Sorry it's confusing. LaFlamme is supposed to be 'calm.' Ha. And hopefully you can figure out all the letters that got left out. Xoxo
Post a Comment