Monday, January 21, 2013

Martin Luther King, In Madi's words. . .

I loved hearing Madi's insight about her day off of school today...

Madi: "We're gonna celebrate Matin Luther King's birthday by not going to school!"
Me: "What's so special about Martin Luther King?" (said in no way to discredit MLK, but rather just as a probing question)
Madi: "He made changes around the world."
Me: "What kind of changes did he make?"
Madi: "Before the changes happened, people with brown skin had to sit in the back of the bus. And the people couldn't go to the same drinking fountain.... But after the changes happened, all the people got to sit wherever they wanted on the bus, and the people could go to the same drinking fountain if they wanted. They also couldn't go to the same school. If they had black skin they had to go to the black skin school. If they had white skin they had to go to the white skin school. If they had brown skin, they had to go to the brown skin school.... before the changes. Then after the changes, if they had brown skin, they could go to the white skin school."
Me: "So Martin Luther King's a pretty good guy huh?!"
Madi: "Ya."

A few things we did this weekend:
Saturday- Hit up our favorite beach in Carpinteria with mom, dad, and the Booras' (who were in town visiting for the weekend). After relaxing in the heavenly 70 degree sunshine for an hour or so, we walked down the road to another favorite - Padaro Beach Grill. Practically a perfect day!
Calvin and Grandpa Al trading hats!
I never tire of watching my girls play in the sand and water. I look forward to when Cal will join in!
Just past our table is a huge sandbox full of toys that the girls love to play in when they're done eating! Best place to eat out with kids!

Sunday- Spencer wasn't feeling great. He made it to his 7am meetings, but then got back in bed as soon as he got home. Thought it best he stay home from church. The girls and I left at noon to get the primary room all set up, leaving Cal home to take care of his daddy! After church we headed over to Boppi and Grandpa Al's for a delicious dinner! So nice not to have to worry about cooking - especially since the girls and I didn't get home from church until 4:30pm. Thanks mom and dad!

Monday was the warmest day of the weekend. I was itching to get out and do something, but Spencer was still feeling crummy. To be totally honest, I have little to no sympathy for sickness (I know that sounds terrible but it's just how I was raised- to be tough and suck it up) so I suggested taking the girls (with all their energy, loudness, and mess making abilities) and getting out of Spencer's hair. Not sure he was thrilled with the idea, but I'd gotten a text from Lindsey (who had just gotten to Silverstrand) saying it was perfect out at the beach. Spencer reluctantly agreed to stay home with Calvin (again). I quickly made some sandwiches, loaded up a chair, some towels, and beach toys and we were on our way! I did feel a bit of quilt for leaving, and thought it maybe a little selfish,  but today was exactly what I needed! I never get to take my girls out on dates (every week they both get individual dates with their dad and I'm the one who stays home). So today my girls and I lived it up! We played for 2 hours in the 80 degree sunshine (my car said it was 87 when we left), and then hit up Costco for ice cream (and a few other items) on our way home. Big thanks to my fabulous husband for giving me this relaxing day to chat with friends, splash in the ocean with my girls, and lay out in the glorious sun! Feeling totally energized, rejuvenated, and quite a bit tanner!
L-R: Easton, Elle, Cruz (a new friend that Elle had a blast playing with), Brooklyn, and Madi

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

I propose Christmas break is moved to January. I want to come play in the sunshine with you!! Miss you guys!