Monday, November 19, 2007

Oh Christmas Tree!



Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree, Oh how we LOVE our 1st "REAL" Christmas Tree!! I hear the rule is that Christmas decorations can go up as early as the day after Thanksgiving. Who made up that rule??!! We got a jump start on Christmas this year. Not to downplay Thanksgiving or anything, because we are SUPER excited for it as well. But, since we will be spending three weeks in California for Christmas, we thought we were entitled, if not obligated, to bring Christmas into our hearts and home early. Our tree was up on November 19th which we figure gives us two days shy of a month to enjoy it!! Spencer and I had so much fun hanging all our ornaments! It was so funny to see all those homemade ornaments (I'm sure you all have the typical felt wreath ornament with your third grade picture in the middle of it) we made when we were kids...oh the memories! Our tree has character!

So, as I thought about this whole "Christmas doesn't begin until after Thanksgiving" rule, I came up with some persuasive reasons to throw this rule out the window:

1. You get the first pick at the Christmas tree lot! (Our tree came from the first shipment that arrived 20 minutes before we showed up!)

2. You have that much longer to enjoy the aroma of a real Christmas tree (if you get a real one that is). There's something about walking into the house and smelling fresh pine!

3. Its one less thing to worry about after Thanksgiving passes. (For me, after Thanksgiving is when everything gets SO CRAZY!!)

4. More Christmas music! (Who doesn't want more Christmas music??)

5. Eggnog appears in the grocery stores weeks before Thanksgiving. Are the grocery stores trying to tell us something...I think yes.

6. The emptiness beneath the tree persuades me to do my shopping early! Plus, it reminds me of all the things I want-which leads me to my next item.

7. Welcoming Christmas early gives me more quality time to contemplate, expand and perfect my wish list :). Now, some may call me selfish, but what good is a mediocre wish list??

8. And most importantly, welcoming Christmas early just makes me happier and more grateful for all the things I have!

10 comments:

The Harpers said...

Hear, Hear! Scott is pretty lame-o when it comes to Christmas. If I had my way the Christmas decorations would go up in October!

Jen said...

Our Christmas tree went up on the 19th as well!! YEAH for christmas! I've already got the Carpenters CD out, although I think the kids are already tired of it! They don't seem to love it as much as I do, perhaps it's time to get some new christmas music!! I love the cute pictures of Madi, she is getting bigger all the time and looks like she has the cutest personality!! I love you all so much!

Lis said...

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ANIE!!!!!!! I love your tree!!! It looks so good in your house!

martyrudd said...

Anie, you didn't mention the Carpenters CD!! It isn't Christmas without that!! Hate to rain on your Nov. 19 start date, but Karlee put our Christmas tree up on Nov. 6!!! And Clark and Jo put their Christmas tree up on Nov. 3!! It must be a Rudd thing.
xoxoMOM

Lollidale Farm said...

Usually I am all about starting the Christmas season off early, but for some reason this year, I am dreading it (I think I'm just trying to avoid facing the lack of time before my trip and all I have to do before then...) Your tree looks great. I love old, handmade ornaments and pine smell, too!

Unknown said...

i totally agree with reason #7...I made mine weeks ago!

Tisha said...

I think you are all crazy! the 3rd for november!! what? well, our tree got pretty dry last year when we did the day after thanksgiving so we are waiting until next week- but I am very excited!! it was funny driving into our neighborhood tonight from FL and seeing all the lights that went up over the weekend!! yeah for christmas!! love you all!!

Tisha said...

I meant fun not funny!!

Karen said...

hi anie!
i LOVED LOVED LOVED your post. so YOU--i can hear you talking when i read it. you almost convinced me that it's ok to start christmas before thanksgiving, but i'm sticking by my guns. good argument, though!!!!
karen

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

I love your reasoning! I'm all for starting Christmas early! Although, this year we're skipping out on all decorating, since we will also be gone most of the month! I'm not as energetic as you! :)

When are you going to be in Camarillo?