Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Elle's Story



I'm back! Big thanks to Spencer for updating the blog with a few pictures while I was preoccupied in the hospital and then sleep deprived at home these past few days. Actually I've been feeling surprisingly great! I've had a much faster recovery this time than I did with Madi. Now that I've been home for a few days, I've been itching to get Elle's birth story recorded. It's amazing how if you ask any mom the details of each kids birth, they always seem to remember exactly what happened- no matter how many kids they've had. Even so, I don't want to forget any details- since this will be added as the start of Elle's blog book which I'll have published for her first birthday. If you're not one to like the labor and delivery details just skip ahead and enjoy all the pics!


From my last post, you already know that I was scheduled for an induction on Thursday, July 16th at 9am. After a morning of waiting around for a call from the hospital (since apparently every expectant mother in Montgomery County, MD was in labor), I got super annoyed and we headed off to the pool. It was two hours of pure relaxation and exactly what I needed. It made me feel better about having wasted the rest of the day away.


We got home, showered off, and just as I sat down on the couch for what I thought might be another couple of hours of waiting, the phone rang! Five minutes later Spencer and I were waving goodbye to Madi and Gram. We checked into the hospital at 6:30pm (only 9 1/2 hours behind schedule:)! As much as I protested, Spencer made me smile for a picture outside the labor and delivery wing.


At 7pm my IV was in and I was feeling great! Of course we weren't the only ones excited for Elle's arrival. Back at home, my mom told me that Madi was playing with her toys and singing, "My sister Elle is coming" (over and over again)!


Finally at 8:50pm they got my oxytocin drip started. I had the feeling that this was the beginning of a very long night. Luckily Melissa stopped by at 9pm. It helped to break up the monotony of sitting in that bed. A little after 11:00pm I could feel the contractions coming on stronger. That, coupled with a pounding headache, made me very uncomfortable. I figured I must have been 5cm dilated by then, but after getting checked, I was disappointed to find that I was still only 3 (almost 4cm). At 11:25, right after a painful contraction, I felt a 'pop'. It was a weird feeling and I asked Spencer if he heard it. It wasn't until I felt the trickle down my legs that I knew that my water had broke! Naturally, contractions started coming on stronger and I put in my request for the beloved epidural. A little after midnight the epidural was in and starting to provide some relief. This epidural didn't seem to numb me up as well as my last one did though. I could feel a lot of pressure with each contraction whereas with Madi, Spencer would have to tell me when I was having a contraction. The left side of my body was definitely less numb than my right side. At 2:20am I was feeling some very intense pressure while feeling that unmistakable need to push! I called for the nurse who quickly checked to find that I was fully dilated, and commented that she could "feel the baby's head"! WOW! I started stressing out, thought for sure that this baby was gonna come flying out! No such luck- at 2:25am I started pushing and continued the grueling task for the next hour! Since my first experience w/ labor (with Madi) only required 3 pushes, this whole 'pushing' concept was new to me. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, but wow- WHAT A WORK-OUT!!! After an hour I was exhausted! My legs were cramping, the pressure was incredible, and I could tell Elle was right there, but kinda stuck. Being what the doctor called, "sunny-side up" (aka- posterior-her head facing up instead down), they knew that just pushing might not get her out. I'm sure the doctor could tell I was tired and unable to keep it up much longer. I gave another push, he made a little snip, and with a help from a suction, Elle came shooting out! What an incredible feeling! 



Here's the team (minus Spencer) who helped bring Elle into the world! What a fabulous doctor and nurse. I couldn't have been happier!


After I was settled into my postpardum room, Spencer headed home to get some sleep. Then he, Madi, and Gram came back a couple hours later. Madi instantly fell in love with her new baby sister. I've been amazed at how gentle Madi is with Elle and how willing she is to help do anything.  We spent the remainder of Elle's birthday just enjoying all her sweetness! Mom and Spencer took turns keeping me company at the hospital. 








Favorite postpartum nurse! Elle and I were fabulously taken care of!


Melissa stopped by (between packing) to visit and of course snapped a couple of adorable shots (along with the first and last pics of this post)! 


Gotta love those lips!

After spending Friday night spent alone, and itching to get home to be with everybody, I asked to be discharged on Saturday instead of Sunday morning.  I got the ok from my doc and the pediatrician and we both came home at 10:30pm.



Since then, "mom instincts" have kicked in and I've been surviving on about 4 hours of broken sleep every night. For someone who usually gets 7 or 8, I don't know how I'm functioning. But I am and feeling quite well, too. I'm sure I'll crash- and probably soon, but with company at the house, it's been hard for me to sit back and let my mom do everything. 


Welcome to our family Elle! You are incredibly loved! We couldn't be happier to have you with us!

23 comments:

Cristin said...

That was so incredibly sweet. Thanks for sharing your story.

Dan and Bec said...

First of all, you had MY doctor deliver you!!!! Since I have 1 in 8 chances of that happening I am soo jealous already!!!
I totally understand the balloon "pop"...that happened with Jake and I was so surprised Dan didn't hear it!!
I am so glad the nurses took good care of you and your precious new daughter! Good luck with the next few weeks! I'll be thinking about you!

Jen said...

Well, I'm glad my doctor didn't deliver you, however, Elle and Grayson were born in the exact same hospital just 14 years apart! How crazy is that???? You look amazing (as always!). I always look like HELL after having a baby! Elle is so amazingly cute, and I'm absolutely dying to snuggle and shnarf with her! I love you! Congrats!

Lacey said...

wow i can't believe that will be me in 5 months! crazy, but so awesome. she is absolutely darling and it sounds like you are doing really well, which gives me hope! keep us posted and keep the pictures coming of that beautiful baby girl, oh and PS i LOVE the name Elle!

Doreen said...

SOOO precious!!! I've been waiting for this post. I was telling Matt that we should call you guys when you get all settled back at home. She is SOOOOO cute. I love your huge smile in all of the pictures. Elle and Madi are lucky to have a mama like you! Good work, Anie!

JoSue said...

What great documentation and pictures Anie! You REALLY do look so good and just have that 'I-just-had-a-baby-glow'! :) Four hours of sleep a night is crazy but I hope that you are just enjoying being back at home with Elle in your arms instead of your belly. I'm glad to hear that Madi has taken so well to the big-sister role. The crazy thing is we won't see Elle until she is probably walking!! Thank goodness for BLOGS!! xoxo Love you guys

Jones Family said...

I got a little teary-eyed reading your post. Must be those pregnancy hormones. Madi's face is completely priceless. I'm so happy that she LOVES her baby sister. They are going to be such little buddies. Congratulations... I love to read labor stories.

Safire said...

Sounds like you had an amazing delivery. Great job on all the pushing! Can't wait to see the little beauty. :)

Melissa said...

She is beautiful Annie, Congrats!

Amber said...

Oh Anie, Elle is absolutely beautiful! I love all her dark hair. You looked amazing in ALL your pictures...you are one good looking girl after a delivery! You should tell everyone else how you do it! I am glad that she is here and that you are doing so well. I LOVE LOVE LOVE hearing about other mothers deliveries so thank you for posting her story! I hope that you are girls are doing well! Much love, Amber

Lollidale Farm said...

That reminds me SOOOO much of my experience with Andrew. We were also scheduled on a VERY busy day. I wasn't put into a room until between 6:30 and 7:00, but I was waiting in the waiting room that whole time. Yuck! I would have rather gone to the pool--good call! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you're home and that all is well, sleep deprivation and all! We need to schedule some pics as soon as my mom leaves, ok?!

Jocelyn said...

I love all the pictures Anie! The only thing missing was a family shot :) I cant wait to meet beautiful Elle...hopefully christmas?! love you all!

The Hansen Family said...

Oh Anie you are simply radiant! What beautiful little angels you've been blessed with! She is presh! LOVE YOU guys!!! Congrats!

Lis said...

I read this TWICE just so you know! I LOVE reading birth stories! Elle is such a doll and im SOOOOOOOOO SAD that im not there to photograph her EVERY SECOND of life. Im so glad Madi is such an AWESOME big sister! We really miss you guys. call me! I saw that you called yesterday! It got crazy around here but its all done now, for the most part. Miss you!!!

Lis said...

Oh and yah- I TOLD YOU that you looked SOOOOOOOO GOOD at the hospital!!!! I love that last picture of you guys!

David and Sarah said...

Congratulations! She's so cute. I'm so glad that you and baby are healthy and that things went well for you.

tylerandmommy said...

I read this story three days ago when you posted it, but I "had" to run off to the beach and didn't have time to respond. First, let me say how GOOD you are to document it. Tyler's birth was memorable enough that I probably never need to write it down, but I should. Elle is going to be grateful when she gets older that you document things and turn them into blog books. (Come Christmas time I need your site you buy from again). Anyhow, what a great story. And YAY for baby Elle!

Darin and Melinda said...

She is so pretty!!! Did Mady have dark hair like her and then it turned blond like yours, or is she a Spencer look alike? She is beautiful either way! Congratulations!

Gretch said...

She is just BEAUTIFUL!! And oh my, don't you look fabulous during the whole event!! I'm so happy for you're little family! You'll just love having your 2 girls!!! Congratulations!

Cothran Family said...

I love you Anie! And I miss you! Wish I could come give your new baby a lovey from her auntie Liza. What a sweet face and you look amazing as always. I loved this post. Hope all is well. Call me when things get settled and when you have one of those ahhhh mama days. Love you bananie:)

Shauna Evanczik said...

Hey! This is so awesome, Eliza just told me about your blog and this is absolutely amazing! I missed you so much and thought of you so much more- I would love to catch up with you if you'd like...e mail me or something when you get the chance, as you will be lacking in sleep for quite a while. I hope to hear from you soon, I hope that Tisha did pass on my love to you and your family- don't be stupid, and go pink yourself. Love, Shauna gilbert5678@hotmail.com

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys. Elle is beautiful, and you look great, Anie! Way to push! I can't believe all of her hair!

Hope you're still doing well!!

Anonymous said...

SISTER JENKINS!!!!! (or supermodel as we shall call you now:))

Ellie is so cute. The most adorable little girl i have seen :) me and ashley were at efy, thinking of you of couse, when I was like hey! Maybe she has baby pictures on her blogspot. Sure enough i was right :) as always of course. Anyways, I'll see you that one day you come to girls camp (if that's still the plan) love you! And your baby:) she's adorable.