
Madi turns two on Sunday and in the Jenkins' home, we like to stretch out birthday celebrations all week! So, we made a special effort to fit in all her favorite outings this week, including: trips to the park, the train table at Barnes & Noble, the library, the store, the pool, etc. Ok- these are really just the regular places we go every week, but I really did try extra hard to make the week special! Then, despite my "great-with-child" status, we topped off the week with a party this morning, inviting some of Madi's close friends. Those who know me well know that I am NOT a party planner-I don't enjoy doing it and the whole thing just stresses me out. When I first decided to do a small party I figured no big deal- right?!? Wrong! I stress about the tiniest things, especially when it involves people coming to OUR house! But, after several Target runs, a couple trips to the grocery store, and staying up past midnight, I can say that I was actually excited for Madi's party!


I had planned a pretty simple party. I bought a small pool from Target, threw it outside in the grass, set up some lawn chairs around it, and had a table full of "Madi" foods. "Uncrustables" (PB&J), pasta salad, watermelon and grapes, mini boxes of raisins, fruit snacks, goldfish, animal crackers, and juice boxes (and I even found Elmo and Big Bird ones on sale- to go along with the "theme")!

After getting over the initial messiness of the cupcake with ladybugs and gummy worms on it, Madi dug in (but of course only finished half of it before wanting to give the rest to dad).





Along with her party, I was extra excited about the gift we had gotten her. Remember this post? Well, that kitchen that I got for Madi has been hidden up in Spencer's office for the past 2 months! So, after a long day at work on Friday, Spencer hauled it downstairs around 9pm and started the grueling task of putting it together.
There were seriously a hundred little pieces and lots of tiny screws packed in that box!!-I'm glad Spencer, and not me, is the official "puter-togetherer" in the family!

Here Spencer is on step 28, trying to interpret the cryptic instruction manual probably sketched by some poor, overworked peasant in rural China. The look on his face is classic: "Maybe this would make more sense if I read the Mongolian version!?"
4 1/2 hours later, around 1:30am, I wake up and find Spencer is still not in bed. So, I go downstairs and find that he is just finishing up and moving the finished product to its place!
After only 3 1/2 hours of sleep I was awake and ready for the big day! Since it was only 5:30am I hopped on the elliptical and fit in an hour work-out before Madi woke up. As soon as she was awake I bolted in to let the birthday festivities begin (I tell ya, I get really excited)! The birthday thing has been so much more fun this year. Madi understands and gets excited, yelling, "Happy Birthday Madi!" After a quick change into her birthday shirt we headed downstairs for her first birthday present!
Luckily Spencer got the whole thing on video! Madi's commentary was priceless. She was SO excited- repeating, "WOW! Oh, my goodness- look at this!," over and over as she inspected her new toy! I'd definitely call this a great purchase!
After an hour of playing with her kitchen, we all began the party preparation.

I had planned a pretty simple party. I bought a small pool from Target, threw it outside in the grass, set up some lawn chairs around it, and had a table full of "Madi" foods. "Uncrustables" (PB&J), pasta salad, watermelon and grapes, mini boxes of raisins, fruit snacks, goldfish, animal crackers, and juice boxes (and I even found Elmo and Big Bird ones on sale- to go along with the "theme")!
Madi was extremely happy with the food. I know, SHOCKING! - Madi never cares about food! I was in awe with how much she ate! After eating half a sandwich, she kept returning to the the table to grab more snacks. Then she'd join different friends to help them eat their lunch!
While Madi wasn't so into the pool thing, she loved the parachute!
Around 11:30 we busted out dessert- made with love by Melissa! I looked online forever at cute cupcakes to make- I even thought about making Elmo ones. But seriously, who would I be kidding! When Melissa told me her idea, I let her go with it! Aren't these the cutest things ever!

After getting over the initial messiness of the cupcake with ladybugs and gummy worms on it, Madi dug in (but of course only finished half of it before wanting to give the rest to dad).
After cupcakes Madi assumed her spot in the "birthday chair" for gift opening. I felt bad with her opening each present and then having to set it aside while she begged, "I wanna open it right now!" I had to reassure her that she'd have plenty of time to play with her presents after nap time. Thanks Tyler, Kate, Brooklyn, Logan, Bella, and Lexi for the awesome gifts!




After a lot of coercion, we were able to get Madi to give Tyler a half-hug. Sorry Tyler, Madi likes to play hard to get!

By this time Madi was definitely ready for her nap. After thanking all her guests, including giving lots of loves to mom and dad, Madi waved good bye to her friends and went upstairs for a long nap.
The day was topped off with a trip to the park, swimming at the pool, and of course LOTS of play time with her news toys! What a fabulous day and a great way to celebrate turning TWO! And the best thing about it, is that the birthday fun gets to continue on all day tomorrow!


















9 comments:
Oh Anie, that looks like so much fun. I love those parachutes. Madi is so fricking cute. You and Spencer are such awesome parents. We love you guys and miss you.
I don't know who liked this post more... Gavin or me? Those cupcakes were SO CUTE! I think I might have to copy them.
That kitchen looked pretty complicated to put together. Spencer must have used his "big daddy muscles" to build it.
Looks like you had a cute party. I wish we could have been there.
Happy Birthday Madi!! Sounds like you had an awesome party!
Happy Birthday Madi! Thanks for having us at your party! I cant believe all the pieces that go along with that KITCHEN!HOLY SMOKES! I was thinking about buying it, but NEVER MIND! Ill have to see if i can find a used one!
Lexi's really gonna miss her BUDDY!!! Tear! Thanks for watching her at church today! ONce she saw Madi, NOTHING could stop her from getting over there!!! AH!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADI!! Too bad the skype call was so short, but she was ready for her nap!! Dad and I loved this post. We wish we could have been there. Yes, Spencer's expression was priceless. He looks very intent and was very dedicated to stay up until 1:30 am putting a kitchen together. Dad has done that many times over the years and I would have loved to had a picture of him doing it. We love, love, love you all.
xoxoxDad and Mom
Happy Birthday Madi! Thanks for inviting us to the party! Tyler had a great time playing in the pool, even if he was the only one most of the time. Josh has bright red knees to show for sitting in the sun the whole time. Those cupcakes are cute and I can't believe that kitchen! Is that the one you got at the yard sale brand new in the box?? Great find! I hope the birthday festivities today are as good as yesterday!
Madi is adorable. I am holding Olivia on my lap and she is freaking out pointing at the screen yelling, "that's my swimsuit, that's my swimsuit" She is so excited.
I LOVED Madi's cute little message, I am definitely saving it! I just wish I had been able to talk to her, but it was too late by the time I got it. I'll just have to try again...lots of love!
What a great documentation of your party! It's true that the one year party is more for the parents than the baby. So that's exciting that she understood and was so excited about her new kitchen! That just makes gift-giving so much more fun! Way to go Spence on the INTENSE dedication!! What girl wouldn't love a new kitchen that her Dad put together?
All the food and good weather...you threw quite a party Anie!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Madi! xoxo
Post a Comment