Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dad's Day

Last year Spencer got to spend Father's Day with his dad and I got to spend it with mine, making this Spencer's first official Father's Day spent with his little girl. And what a great Father's Day it was! With church at 9am, Madi and my plans for a breakfast in bed didn't quite work out so well. Instead she just surprised him with a handmade card (painted hand print, picture and all). 

Then this afternoon we celebrated by Spencer making Hoagie sandwiches and homemade ice cream (ya, I have a pretty amazing husband- to make his own meal on Father's Day:)! Now, don't worry- I made sure to help out with cutting up the watermelon, and washing the dishes afterwards. We also had wonderful company all afternoon. My good friend Emily, from teaching days at Geneva, has been in town this week and was able to get away to spend the entire afternoon with us! We absolutely love her company, so it was nice to relax, get caught up, and visit while enjoying delicious food. 

After Madi woke up we headed off to the temple. Of course Madi was in heaven with getting to spend her afternoon here!  



While stopping by the visitors center, we ran into the Jolley family that we knew from Burbank. They weren't in our ward, but Spencer got to work closely with Bart in young mens. What a small world! 



Now back to my thoughts on Father's Day. . . I always want Madi to remember the relationship that she and her dad share at this stage of her life.  So I thought I'd include just a few reasons why Spencer is such an amazing dad!

1) He takes time to play with Madi every night- her usual requests are cars and blocks.
2) He puts her to bed (which includes reading at least 3 stories and singing a handful of songs) probably 6 of the 7 nights a week.
3) He makes sure to enforce the rules, and is usually stricter than me (which I greatly appreciate).
4) He's always looking for something new to teach Madi! I love how we both excite in all the new things she's always learning.
5) He makes sure they go out on daddy daughter dates at least once a week!

It really is the best thing for me to see how much Spencer adores his little girl and how much Madi loves her daddy!


And of course, I gotta throw a shout out to two other amazing fathers! We feel extremely lucky to have 2 great dads as role models in our life. Spencer obviously learned well from his dad and I think my high expectations came from having a dad who I've always had a close relationship with. We love you both very much! Happy Father's Day!

3 comments:

tylerandmommy said...

Awww what a sweet post! Madi is lucky to have such a great dad! And I love the second pic at the temple...you can see her dress filling with air and the pure joy on her face!

Lis said...

Its so nice that Spencer is SO involved with Madi's little life! LUCKY! Id KILL to have someone else put Lexi to bed every night! Or even ONE night. Glad you guys had a GREAT DAY!!!! He really is a GREAT Dad!

JoSue said...

Wow, it seems like you always have friends or family coming in town! Maybe you're just better at keeping in touch than I am. Sounds like a great father's day weekend though! Hopefully Spencer got a special treat at church too! Hoagies and homemade ice cream sound delicious. I haven't had homemade ice cream in years...do you have a maker?

I just think the DC temple is incredible. Those pictures you took are great! xoxo