Saturday, October 11, 2008

Day 2: Capitol, Library of Congress, and Monuments

Friday morning mom, dad, and Jocelyn headed out at 10am for their scheduled Capitol tour, while Spencer, Madi, and I stayed behind to make sure that Madi got a real nap! We knew we would getting home late, and didn't want to keep Madi out all day again- without a nap! That 18 minute nap the other day just didn't cut it! And nap she did!! She slept for over 3 hours- putting us heading into the city not until after 3pm. Our first stop was the Library of Congress, where mom, dad, and Jocelyn were already in the middle of a tour. Luckily, we were able to jump right in and join the end of their tour.

From there we headed off to the base of the Washington Monument for our evening tour of the monuments and memorials. Of course we had to stop and snap a family photo in front of the Capitol on our way over!


At 6pm our tour began, and I must say that it was the BEST tour I've ever had! I've done the walk from the Washington to Lincoln Monument before, but didn't get as much out of it as I did from this tour. If you ever have the chance, you gotta go on the DC By Foot tour. It's a free tour everyday at 2 and 6pm that 2 college guys started as a little business. The guys are very entertaining, have great stories, and move you right along. I've been bored by all the tours I've ever taken and I always end up sneaking off to explore. However, this guy kept us right with him the whole time! And he's great with the kids! Have I convinced you yet?!? Big thanks to Spencer for insisting that we take it! Unfortunately, since it was an evening tour, it was already dark by 7pm and none of my pictures came out. So, again- all I can say, is take the tour yourself! We also lucked out with an incredibly gorgeous evening- well worth the late night out! We made it to the Metro around 9pm, not getting home until 9:45pm. Thanks mom, dad, and Jocelyn for another action packed day!

4 comments:

The Pickled Red Herring said...

Wow, looks like you guys had fun! We definitely need to do more DC touring. I had never heard of that tour... I'm still trying to figure out how some guys started it as a business, but it's free... Maybe they didn't quite understand the full concept of a money-making venture? Hee hee!

Lis said...

i love madi's piggies!!!! cute!!! so yah so typical of me to comment on the hair first but i must ALSO say what an AWESOME necklace you have on!!!


ive always wanted to do a night tour! Walking around down there at night is so awesome!!! Ill have to try that tour! Maybe even next month when my company is here!!! THANKS!

Lis said...

Youre such a crack up too! You always ask me for help and then you figure it out! I knew you could do it anie!!!! (talking about the LINK in the post!) Youre better than you THINK YOU ARE!!!

Lollidale Farm said...

That sounds like so much fun! I've got to figure out a way/time to do that! If only I could figure out how to do it without my kids tagging along, I'm sure I'd have way more fun and take much better pictures. :) You know I love my kids, right?

BTW--you look so CUTE in that last picture!