Saturday, October 11, 2008

Day 3: Baltimore & Annapolis

For our third day of site-seeing, we decided to get out of DC and head north. For some reason, Jocelyn really wanted to go to Baltimore (my guess is from watching Hairspray:)! So, off to Baltimore we went. We had a nice drive through the city, got stuck in some traffic, unsuccessfully asked some impatient police officers for directions, and finally made our way to Fort McHenry- where the Battle of Baltimore of the war of 1812 took place-inspiring Francis Scott Key to write "The Star Spangled Banner." At the visitors center, we watched a movie about the history behind the battle and the origins of our national anthem. The movie was a touch on the dry side, but the ending was AWESOME!! At the end of the movie, they play a rousing rendition of the Star Spangled Banner and then slowly open the curtains of the darkened theater, giving us a spectacular view of the fort and its huge American Flag, blowing in the wind above. It was a pretty emotional experience. Spencer and I both commented on how powerfully it moved us! Understanding the history behind all this gave me a much stronger appreciation for our national anthem. While I've always loved the song, it definitely means more to me now! Afterwards, we headed out to walk around the grounds. It was another beautiful day- I don't think we could have had better weather than we've had this entire weekend!



Madi especially enjoyed the walk. We would walk one way and she'd take off in the opposite direction! Notice Madi way down the path (and I had to zoom in to take this picture) and Spencer coming after her!


So, onto the shoulders she went!


Madi was able to enjoy her lunch outside in the grass before we headed over to LP Steamers for lunch.


If you like seafood, you'd LOVE this place. Dad, Mom, Spencer, and Jocelyn were in heaven with their crab, steamers (clams), and crab cakes. While I'm not a fan of seafood, I do have to admit that my tuna sandwich and french fries were the best I've ever had! So if you're ever in the area, you'll have to check it out!




Madi refused to eat any of it- she was happy with the spaghetti we fed her at the park. But she did had a great time pounding out the crab!



After our bellies were full, we headed off to Annapolis! By this time it was almost 3pm and Madi was definitely ready for a nap. She was able to get a whole 30 minute nap on the drive from Baltimore to Annapolis! I do have to commend Madi though for what a trouper she's been! We've heard not so much as a whine or complaint from her. Annapolis was gorgeous as always. This weekend was the National Boat Show- biggest in the U.S, which dad really seemed to enjoy. Madi had fun checking out all the big boats!


After the sun went down it got cool enough to pull out Madi's Annapolis hoodie that we bought on our last trip here! So glad that it still fits!


Spencer, Madi, and I took off for home a little after 6pm- in order to get Madi in bed at a reasonable time. Mom, dad, and Jocelyn stayed behind for more shopping and a stop by the Temple on their way home!

3 comments:

Jen said...

What a FUN trip!!! I never saw all of that when we were there! And we lived there for 9 mo.!!! When we come out to visit you, you will have to take us to all the best places!!! Ava saw the picture of Madi on Spencer's shoulders. She remembers you guys, but thinks you all live at Bear Lake since that is where she last saw you! Too funny!

5 Brothers Farms said...

Gosh that looks fun!!! You guys are so good about taking lots of great pictures! I can just imagine Madi reading this when she is older and marveling at what a cutie she is!!!

Heidi said...

I do remember meeting you that one time but hadn't realized it was the same person! Anyway, do you mind if I put a link to your blog on mine?

Your daughter is so cute and I am hoping for a residency back east- I would love to live there for a while I think!